Monday, March 17, 2008

roadtrip




During spring break a couple weeks ago, Jo and I took a little trip up to Maryland. We stayed with our grandmother (Mema), got to visit with Aunt Jo and Amy, and watched way to0 much American Idol. We also got to spend a day downtown in the capital city.



We took the metro in, and this is what we saw when we emerged from the tunnel



We visited the Freer gallery first, and enjoyed lots of Whistler (he's definitely becoming one of my favorites)



The Freer Gallery is small, but definitely worth visiting. Besides American art, it also focuses on Asian art (Japanese screens and things) and has a beautiful courtyard.


We walked along the mall, admiring old buildings and things.

Jo posed for the camera.



ok. Does this look familiar to anyone? Either someone in Cary is ripping someone off, or the other way around. (or, I guess it could be the same artist). I must say that this looks even more like a construction zone, because a piece of it was just hanging there.


We were sad that the history museum was closed, but got to experience some Treasures of American History in another museum.

Something from our home state!


There were other important, history-altering items there. I mean, where would we be without the signpost from M*A*S*H?
or these guys?



We also learned some new things...apparently Andrew Jackson was quite a small man.


And then we got bored, so Jo memorized the Declaration of Independence.

(ok, not really)

We visited the National Art Gallery, taking in a lovely concert and the large shop. As it was after 1:00 when the concert ended, we were too hungry to see much of the museum. But we did see this

This is only a fraction of all the flowers. It smelled amazing.

We went undercover and visited the International Spy Museum. We had to memorize our covers and all our details. They told us it was really important, and that we must remember everything (name, birthplace, residence, occupation, destination, reason for visit, length of stay), and we did, but we never needed it. We took in a lot of information, most of which was not able to fit into my brain, because of all those details I was remembering, and all the mental energy that was required in order not to be knocked over by the swarms of middle schoolers everywhere. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but a lot of it was like old spy movies.

When we got our of there we observed the National Portrait Gallery across the street, and decided to take a peek. They were celebrating the centennial of this lovely lady.

We learned that the oscar statue used to be much smaller. (trivia: she had four)

(obviously, I haven't yet learned how to take a picture through glass)

All in all it was a lovely day. Here we are before heading back underground.

3 comments:

Lynnewithane said...

Yay!
Thanks for the fun documentary of your trip. I enjoyed it :)

Unknown said...

Yay!! That was so fun! I miss you!!!

Too much American Idol? I think not. Although I will admit that since it was 80's week it was kind of lame.

Hah! Thanks for just saying that "we were pretty hungry" instead of "Jo was about to faint and wouldn't let me do anything else till she got food." Haha.

Love youuuu!

Anne Elisabeth Stengl said...

That looks awesome, particularly the inspired construction sculpture which was definitely . . . yes . . . inspired.
Whistler is neat!